WE ARE PUMPED! HB3399 passed out of Conference Committee this afternoon. Now we need to get it to the finish line! Many of us will be meeting at the Capitol on the Fourth Floor Rotunda WEARING OUR GREEN STOP COMMON CORE SHIRTS tomorrow, Thursday at 1pm.
We will tell legislators we are SO thankful to them for supporting the repeal of Common Core and we are so grateful to them for all their work! Now we need to let them know we are behind the bill and are ready to see it pass it through the House and the Senate and get it to the Governor's desk.
Though there will never be a perfect bill for everyone, this bill is so much more than we ever thought we'd accomplish this year - especially after four years of batting ZERO!
1. Repeals Common Core from state law
2. State must use PASS during the two year interim while new standards are being written and the tests must be aligned to those standards
3. No more 'fuzzy' math! The new standards require the mastery of the 'standard algorithms in math' - "the most logical, efficient way of solving a problem that consistently works"
4. Oklahoma's new standards must be compared with the old standards to ensure they are NOT aligned with Common Core
5. Oklahoma's new standards must be reviewed and approved by the legislature
6. The state board cannot enter into any agreements that would cede control or authority of our standards and tests
7. Standards and assessments must be developmentally appropriate
8. The state may use paper and pencil tests if online testing creates problems for students
Of course, we will have to continue to keep an eye on the process of development of the standards and this is why we will campaign against Superintendent Barresi as Superintendent. Please continue this fight through the elections to INSURE Oklahoma develops our own educational standards. Because, of course, Common Core is not OK!